In a previous post I noted that Kasper Rzeszut came to the United States in 1907 and the rest of his family followed many months later. Up next is the Passenger Manifest for the S.S. Friedrich Wilhelm, the ship that Kasper’s wife Anna Kopec Rzeszut and their five children; Antoni, Julia, Josef, Michal and Franck came over on. The family left their home about 19 months after Kasper did. Anna and the kids appear on lines 18-23.
Click the below image to download a scan of the actual manifest.
The Passenger List For Anna Rzeszut and Her Children
Source: Immigration and Naturalization Service. Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1897-1957. National Archives Microfilm Publication T715, Roll 1277.
This manifest tells us:
- Date Of Departure – May 22, 1909
- Port Of Departure – Bremen, Germany
- Date Of Arrival – May 31, 1909
- Port Of Arrival – New York
- Ship – S.S. Prinz Friedrich Wilhelm
- Anna was 35 yrs old. Antoni 14, Julia 11, Josef 9, Michal, 7 and Franck 10 months old. *Anna must have gotten pregnant just prior to Kasper leaving for America in October of 1907.
- Marital Status – Married
- Occupation – Mother
- Anna, Antoni and Julia were able to read and write.
- Josef, Michal and Franck had not learned to read or write yet.
- Name and address of nearest living relative from point of origin looks like “mother Enya Rzeszut in Dabrowica, Galicy” – this may have been Kasper’s mother. For the children just the word “grandmother” is given.
- Final Destination was Hartford, Conn with Kasper Rzeszut as the person they were going to be with.
- Nationality was Galicy.
- Last Permanent Residence was Dąbrowica, Galicy.
- Race was Polish
- Fare was paid for by Kasper.
- Looks like Anna had $20 and Antoni had $15.
- Anna and Antoni were both 4’10” tall. Heights were not noted for the rest of the children.
- They all had “fair” complexions.
- Anna and Josef are listed as having grey eyes
- Antoni, Julia and Franck had brown eyes.
- Michal had blue eyes.
- Hair color for all of them is listed as being “Bld” which I imagine means Blonde.
- Country of birth for all of them is Galicia.
- Town of birth for Anna, Antoni and difficult to make out – looks like the last five letters are eneca. I haven’t found anything on the maps I’ve seen that I’d consider a match. The immigration official may have completely misinterpreted what they were saying.
S.S. Prinz Friedrich Wilhelm